Thursday, May 10, 2007

Day Off, Coffee Scoff.

So its my day off, lovely Thursday.
Sleep in til' 11:30.

I decided in the shower that I would go deposit my paycheque, and while I was at the bank, I would finally go check out the new Balzacs cafe in Liberty Village.

Last week Young Chow and I went on a late night psychebike mission to the 24hour Dominion to get some premium icecream and snacks.
On the way back I stopped and took a look into the closed Balzacs cafe, and was actually impressed by how it looked inside. I promised myself I would go for a coffee the next day off.
Pretty fuckin sweet floors I gotta say.

Im gonna go back and get some photos, and get a coffee when there is a good barista working, although, from the quality of what I got today, and the Mahlkoning autogrinder, I suspect that such a barista may not exist at this shop, but who knows?

Anyways, yah, so my cappuccino today was not so great, I think the girl behind the machine just started working there, and hasn't yet finished training. By a "double" for my capp, I didn't mean 2 double baskets.
I got like 4 ounces of blonde espresso, and from at least 12 ounces of fresh Harmony organic homo milk, about 2 ounces of spooned out bubbly foam standing tall above the cup like an abstract sculpture.
Thats a whole lotta excellent milk, to be just wasting for a spoonful of bad foam.
Poor cows.

Seriously though, why would any place that roasts its own, has multiple locations, is conscious of aesthetic, and uses (very expensive) organic milk, have 1 person working the bar, who clearly has not been trained on how to properly, and effciently make coffee.
No diss to the girl, she's only doing as much as she knows.
I get the feeling a lot of coffee shops are started up not out of a love for coffee, but a lust for money, and a belief that the equipment will just work itself, without hiring a consultant to train their staff, and explain why it is they should be doing what they are doing.

All I hear is birdies "cheap cheap cheap"

Aww, who am I to whine about not being able to get a good coffee wherever I go.
I don't think I would consult anyways, it's kind of like selling your soul, selling all the knowledge you've worked so hard to obtain and experience, to some swine that just wants a piece of the pie, without having to get his/her hands dirty behind a machine.
Those places go out of business anyways, and then they blame you for poor consultation.
You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink.

Ok, thats all today.

No comments: